Ancient church of St. Nicholas on Lipna. History of erection
Church of St. Nicholas on Lipna took refuge in a smallthe heights of the picturesque island of Lake Ilmen. It is right at the mouth of the river called Msta. The place is located 8 km from Veliky Novgorod. This Orthodox church, built in the late 13th century, is a monument of stone architecture. His main throne is consecrated in honor of Nicholas of Myra, while the limit is in the name of St. Clement.
Church of St. Nicholas on Lipna in Novgorod
According to ancient annals, this magnificent temple was created in 1292 (this is what the archbishop of Novgorod Clement ordered to do). A very surprising story is connected with this moment.
In 1114 the prince MstislavVladimirovich orders to lay the church to Saint Nicholas in gratitude for the healing. As history remembers, one day the prince overcame a serious illness, and he began to earnestly call to the aid of the name of the Wonder-worker. And one of these days the prince had a vision: St. Nicholas the Wonderworker himself appeared to him, who ordered his messengers to go to Kiev for their icon, while he pointed out to them its form and measure.
Sitting in boats, the envoys went to Ilmen,but as soon as they approached the island of Lipno, they were detained for four days by a violent storm. And then on the water they found the icon on a rounded board, where Nicholas the Wonderworker was depicted. In her vision, Prince Mstislav saw it, and it was she who sailed to them from Kiev itself. The messengers immediately brought her, Veliky Novgorod, directly to the prince, who prayed to her and received a miracle of healing.
On the site of the phenomenon of this icon was arranged a monastery, in which the main shrine was first the wooden church of St. Nicholas, and then the white stone.
Architecture of the temple
The architects began to work, focusing, infirst of all, to one of the last churches of the pre-Mongol period, which was called the "Church of the Nativity of the Pereski Skete." It became a Novgorod processing of the principles of Smolensk architecture. Here we have in mind a square, four-pillar, cruciform, single-head, one-domed temple, but it was even more expanded (10x10), with decorative blades present at the corners of the three-lobed facade.
In the original form, the facades were without plaster,The walls consisted of shell and slate of various shades and sizes. Window arches were decorated with brick blocks, only in a darker color. It was a modern innovation of that time (before that they were made from other materials: limestone and plinth).
In addition to all this, the temple is decorated with small niches with relief crosses above the western gate of the niche entrance with frescoes.
At the bottom of the dome, at the top of the drum, aboveeyebrows of small windows and under trilobate contours could be considered arcuate belts, according to researchers whose analogues are found in the Romano-Gothic architecture of Livonia.
The Church of St. Nicholas on Lipny near Novgorod (1292)
When all the stone work of the temple was over, it was painted with frescoes, not only from the outside, but also from the inside.
It is known that somewhere in the middle of the XIX century the artistG. Filimonov witnessed and painted all the murals on the eastern wall, just between the shoulder blades and the apse, the semi-circular protruding part of the church. And these were compositions in the form of the image of the Mother of God and Savior, protected by special visors.
In the church was also immediately established the limit of the Archbishop of Novgorod Clement.
In 1528 Archbishop Makarii in Lipensky Monastery was introduced a dormitory charter.
Traces of history
The Church of St. Nicholas in Lipna was painted with frescoes inthe period 1293-94 years. When the walls were cleared in 1930, well-preserved frescoes were discovered, one of which was the "Annunciation" composition, located on the pillars on the east side.
The monastery almost did not suffer in the Swedish occupation of 1611-1617.
By 1763 in the monastery were listed:the refectory of the Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh and the Church of the Holy Trinity, the stone church of St. Nicholas, the abbot case of two floors, a bunk wooden bell tower with 5 bells and a wooden fence.
But then came not the best of times:in 1764 the monastery was abolished and attributed to the Skovorodsky monastery. Almost all buildings were dismantled by bricks. The remaining church of St. Nicholas in Lipna by the XIX century with time dilapidated and came to complete desolation. Divine services there were very rare.
After the revolution of 1917, because of the distance from the city, the temple was completely closed, and the church building suffered greatly from this. The two-tier bell tower was demolished.
During the Second World War here, on the island, on theterritory of the monastery, was located observation post of the Soviet army, so the Germans, standing 6 km from here, subjected to constant shelling of this terrain. The temple was partially destroyed: only 65% of the masonry survived.
Surprisingly, in 1945, restoration work was carried out on the frescoes, and in 1954-56 after the capital restoration, its original appearance was restored.
Today the place where the Church of St. Nicholas on Lipna is located is a protected area where an elderly and very strict guardian lives with her family.
By the way, it's not so easy to get here.The whole problem is that there is neither road nor regular transport connection to Nikola's temple. Curious tourists usually get to it either by boat or by boat, or by skiing or by walking on the ice in winter, when the river and the lake freeze.