Onion Centurion: reviews and description of the cultivar
On the need to supply the body with vitaminsknew in ancient times. Their source was fruit, fresh vegetables, including onions. It is not very difficult to grow, it can be eaten both raw and processed (boiled, roasted). Against the backdrop of a huge number of varieties, the Centurion bow is allocated. Reviews of it from truck farmers are only positive.
Morphology of culture
Onions refers to biennial plants. It reproduces in two ways: sexual and vegetative. In the first year of life, a bulb and leaves (vegetative organs) are formed. In the second or third year, the plant throws out a flower arrow, on which the seeds ripen.
Homeland of onions is South-West Asia. In the wild, he meets in Turkmenistan, Iran, Afghanistan. Against the background of the set of breeds and hybrids bred by breeders, the Centurion bow is allocated. Description of the variety, reviews about it can be found in this article.
The leaves have a tubular structure, color - from dark green to light green. Their length can reach 80 cm, in the cross-section they are oval or round.
Bulb is a modified, strongly thickenedvegetative shoot. The number of external dry scales, their density of adhesion and color depend on the cultivar of the Onion Centurion (see photo in the text) has a yellowish brown color. Tightly fitting and available in large quantities, they contribute to the long shelf life of onions.
Internal juicy scales can have a thickness of 2.5 mm to 9 mm, this depends on the characteristics of the variety.
The shape of the bulbs is mostly round. They can also be flat, elongated. The seeds are very small.
It is a small bulb, of whicha common onion grows. Early, high quality - that's it, the Centurion onion. The reviews of gardeners-lovers fully confirm the reliability of the hybrid and its excellent germination. This variety is a product of Dutch breeding and is in great demand. How does the centurion onions look like? The characteristics of the fetus are as follows:
- small bulb;
- outer scales of a yellow-brown hue;
- form slightly elongated;
- internal flakes of white color;
- weight - up to 120 grams.
Features of cleaning
Cleaning of onion-sowing begins only aftercessation of growth of new leaves. To make it easier to choose bulbs from the ground, you should not allow lodging of the leaves. It is important to make sure that most of the bulbs are ripe, while the leaflet should remain intact.
The best time for harvesting onion-seedling is the second half of July, at the hottest time. After several days of drying in the field, the products are transported to sorting and storage sites.
There are several options for storage:
- Onions are placed in a circle - bulbs outward, andthe leaves are inside the circle. Height - within half a meter. The diameter should be such that the opposing leaves do not touch. This way you can store the Centurion onions. Reviews about this option speak in his favor. The fact is that with a similar laying, the leaves quickly pereprevayut and dry up, and bulbs are excellent to dozaryvayutsya.
- The second method involves laying onion-sowing in long narrow bands. At the same time, more time is left for a selection of dried onions.
After drying and cleaning the onions from the ground and dry leaves, they are sorted according to existing standards:
- The smallest, with a diameter of less than 0.7 cm, is not left to storage due to their complete drying. Such material is used for autumn planting.
- Large (diameter - more than 2.2 cm) is selected for planting in the spring. Greenery stripping is the most profitable use of such onions.
- The rest, depending on the size, are divided into classes:
- 1st class - from 7 mm to 14 mm;
- 2nd class - from 15 mm to 22 mm.
In the storages where the onion is stored, the necessary temperature regime is maintained.
Adding an "f1" to the name means thatseeds of this variety are hybrids of the first generation. They are distinguished by an increased life force. Such hybrids grow quickly, give a good harvest and withstand unfavorable conditions. Centurion f1 - onion, which meets all of the above criteria.
The peculiarity of such varieties is that hybrids f1can not be used to obtain seeds. The phenomenon of heterosis is characteristic only of the first generation. The seeds obtained from f1 hybrids will disappoint the amateur agronomist. The crop will be weak, the plants - so unlike what they seem - sowed the most diverse varieties on one plot.
What attracts gardeners onions Centurion? The description of the variety (the photo can be seen in the text) is given below:
- refers to the group of hybrids - hence, has increased resilience;
- characterized by high yields - 400 kg per hundred parts;
- medium-early variety;
- for use - universal;
- has good taste qualities;
- not subject to disease;
- resistant to rifling.
Agrotechnics implies the technology of cultivation of agricultural crops. Any plant when growing requires compliance with certain rules.
- cultivate the crop in the open ground;
- if the growing area has excessive moisture, onion is planted on beds, if insufficient, on an even surface;
- Seed density - up to 8 grams per 1 m2;
- depth of sowing - up to 2 cm;
- the planting pattern is as follows: grooves are formed at a distance of 15 cm from each other to a depth of 4 cm;
- technical maturity comes on the average in 75 days;
- care involves weeding, loosening the soil, fertilizing and watering;
- yields up to 8 kg with 1 m2.
During growth, the onion is attacked by pests. They are described more than ten species: onion secretivel, onion murmur, onion moth, stem nematode onion, onion mite. Listed below are the most common of them and briefly describes the control measures.
- Wireworm. Prevention measures include the timely preparation of the soil, the sowing period must be early, to the optimum depth. It is obligatory to add ammonia water.
- Tobacco thrips. Warnings: observance of crop rotation - it is impossible to sow onions on the field, where this culture was grown, earlier than in 4 years. Warming bulbs before planting for a day at a temperature of 45 degrees.
- Onion fly. Spraying with special chemical preparations, observance of early sowing periods, mandatory autumn deep plowing and sealing of the upper layer.
Especially often suffers from onion fly and onionmoth is the type of onion Centurion. The reviews of gardeners confirm this observation. Save the harvest will help to take timely measures of protection and prevention.
Terms of cleaning depend on the variety, climate and conditionscultivation. In general, this process begins in August as the bulbs mature, which does not happen at the same time. The Centurion bow is no exception. Opinions of farmers mark the uneven maturation of culture. For this reason, cleaning is done selectively.
Harvest is packed in boxes, more often in grids ornylon bags. It is possible to store onion and in bulk for up to 8 months if the following conditions are observed: indoors should be dry, cool and dark. This helps to avoid unwanted vegetation.
The merits of the brand include the narrow neck, which quickly dries up. This significantly reduces the percentage of probability that various pathogens will enter the bulb.
There are some indispensable conditions for the cultivation of such a culture as the Centurion onions. Characteristics of agrotechnical requirements:
- This is the culture of a long day of cross-pollination;
- the plant prefers a red spectrum of illumination;
- demanding soil fertility (acidity - close to neutral, light, rich in bacteria and humus);
- in the initial stage of vegetation requires nitrogen-containing top dressing, in the second half requires more potassium and phosphorus;
- onion is sensitive to watering, especially in the first two months (the period of leaf formation).
Onions have their own requirements for top dressing. First of all, we must note the intolerance of excess fertilizer culture. The optimum dose is considered to be 6 kg of humus and not more than 150 grams of ash per 1 m2.
Let us consider the bow of the Centurion in more detail. The description of the variety (photo in the article - a bulb in the cut) as an excellent culture for the consumer market can begin with the excellent taste qualities of the variety. Slim sharp specific taste, bright aroma, juicy pulp - that's what gourmets onion Centurion appreciate for it.
Fruits of an even shape, dense consistency. The husk has a bright straw color. The weight of one bulb averages 100 grams.
You can grow this variety both from seeds and fromonion seedlings. In agrotechnics there are no difficulties. The culture is rather frost-hardy. There is a certain pattern between the sharpness of the variety and its resistance to low temperatures. The sharper the taste of onions, the lower the temperature it can withstand. To start germination enough + 12heat, in the open ground culture can transfer frost to -4.
In the vegetative period, irrigation is required, it stimulates the growth of leaves. During the formation and development of the bulb, this procedure is stopped.
Bow prefers side lighting of the red spectrum. To do this, it is planted on the soil, clean from weeds, and in rows, the distance between which is not less than 20 cm. At 1 m2 quite a residual of three grams of seeds of such a culture as the Centurion bow.
Description of the variety, reviews of its yield indicate that it can be used not only on household plots, but also on an industrial scale. On a private farmstead you can get up to 4 kg with 1m2, and in large areas - up to 40 tons per hectare.
As with all crops, onions require care:
- for the formation of large fruits, thinning is carried out (preferably after irrigation or rain);
- at least once in ten days loosen the soil;
- ensure that the soil is always wet;
- Watering is completely stopped three weeks before harvest;
- The first mineral fertilizing is carried out after the emergence of sprouts - in two to three weeks, a week later, fed a second time;
- It is not recommended to plant onions on one site for more than three years in a row.
During the whole time they watch for possible manifestations of diseases or attacks of pests. To minimize harm, preventive and ongoing activities are carried out.
A few tips for lovers of growing onions:
- onions do not hill, but only loosen the earth around it;
- the introduction of fresh manure can delay the ripening of bulbs and provoke the appearance of pests;
- planted next to onions, dill will serve as a "biological weapon" for scaring off pests;
- to accelerate the emergence of seedlings before planting, onion seeds are moistened with water at room temperature, after reaching sprouts of 2 cm in height, they are sown in open ground;
- the dried onion is freed from dry roots and leaves, leaving no more than 5 cm of false stem;
- Delay with cleaning can provoke secondary growth of plants.
Advantages of the variety
It is worth noting the merits of such a variety as the Centurion bow. Comments of specialists and amateur gardeners about its quality are noted first of all:
- excellent combination of high stable yields with early maturation;
- good resistance to rifling;
- high quality peel;
- ability to be well preserved;
- sharp taste;
- universality of application.
In cooking with pleasure use an oniononion centurion. Reviews about its rich and pleasant taste are given not only by professional workers, but also by ordinary consumers. They note its original taste, unique flavor and sharpness. The slightly elongated elongated shape of the bulb simplifies the shredding process.
It can be used as an ingredient forsauces and seasonings. It fits perfectly with fresh salads. Onions can be canned for the winter in combination with other vegetables or separately. You can cook from onions and stand alone dish.
Onions are also used for medical purposes, inin particular, nutritionists. Especially well manifested itself bow Centurion. Feedback from experts on his ability to excite in patients' appetite positive. This is promoted by a strong aroma and a kind of juicy white slices.